Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The grass is always greener

I spent a long weekend in Washington DC this past weekend and like every trip to DC, it was great. Washington DC is special to me for many reasons, one of them being the freedom and liberation that is public transportation. I love that you can walk around a city and take the subway or bus anywhere. I have been to DC 4 times so far. Each time has been a trip of significant personal growth, reflection, and hope. This past trip was nothing short of that. Many possibilities for the next step presented themselves including fellowships in which to apply and ideas for postdoctoral projects. As the end of my graduate school career approaches (hopefully), the next step weighs heavy on my mind. Where do I go from here? Will choosing one way rule out another way forever? Will I regret not going for something? Will I always wonder if I could have done it? Does it matter at all? I would love, at some point in my life, to spend sometime working in Washington DC. At this point, I do not want to live there forever, maybe just a year or two. Again DC gives me such a sense of freedom and peace. I am getting restless with the career/academic aspect of my life. I know the grass is always greener. DC may be so appealing because, to this point, I have no real responsibility there. Once a job and everyday life sets in along with the high cost of living, I know it will be just as stressful and trying at times as it is now. And I will be far from my friends and family. Logistically, Houston is a better choice. Or there's the CDC in Georgia:) We'll see. No need to worry about it all until the offers are on the table. In the end, I may not have a choice! And after all the debate, it is no longer just my decision. It would be easier to make the decision on my own, but it would be a much lonelier life. There are more important things in life, than a career. Again, we'll see where life takes us. I guess it is a true blessing that life is full of possibilities. And at this point I don't think there is a right or wrong decision. I feel no matter what I will find more happiness than which I could have ever planned (hopefully, heh).

1 comment:

  1. You know. You didn't even mention New Jersey. OR Iowa for that matter.

    ReplyDelete